Geographica Helvetica accepts manuscripts in German, French, Italian, and English. The following types of manuscripts can be considered for publication in Geographica Helvetica (GH):
Standard articles (6000–8000 words, including references) comprise the main component of the journal and represent original studies that offer interesting and new insights into any field of geography, broadly defined. Standard articles can have an empirical or theoretical emphasis. The abstract should not exceed 150 words. The abstract must be written in English. All standard articles follow a double-blind peer-review process.
Human geography: Cristina del Biaggio (Italian language submission editor), Myriam Houssay-Holzschuch, Hanna Hilbrandt, Nadine Marquardt Physical geography: Martin Hoelzle, Emmanuel Reynard Other fields: Hanna Hilbrandt
Interfaces provide space for reflection, innovation, and experimentation. Pieces submitted to this section are encouraged to generate debate, test innovative ideas, revisit classic contributions, and create productive controversy. Contributions may be sent for commentary, but they are not subject to a strict peer-review process to ensure timely publication. The following types of contributions can be submitted to "Interfaces":
- Interventions (2500–3000 words) are short and concise analyses that engage critically with current social, cultural, economic, and political developments from a geographical perspective.
- "Thinkers' Corner" (2500–3000 words) involves critical engagement with past and present thinkers (geographers, philosophers, social theorists) to assess their relevance for present-day geographical theory.
- Positionings (2500–3000 words) involve critical engagement in current conceptual or theoretical debates in geography or neighbouring fields, or they encompass a critical review and positioning of a number of landmark publications (books, papers) in an ongoing conceptual or theoretical debate.
Coordinating editor: Hanna Hilbrandt, Myriam Houssay-Holzschuch
Theme issue overview articles synthesize and summarize the findings and conclusions of the papers published in a theme issue. The manuscript title must clearly reflect the relation to the theme issue and start with "Overview:".
We publish book reviews across all fields in geography, published in any of the four languages of the journal (German, French, Italian, and English). Reviewers are free to write the review in the language of their choice. Alternatively, reviewers are also invited to write the review of a non-English book in English – or the review of an English book in another language in order to introduce newly published books and debates to a wider audience.
- Review Essays (1500 words): Detailed and critical engagement with one specific and newly published book that promises to be of significant interest to the discipline
- Review Symposia (2500–3000 words): Detailed and critical engagement with several books, presenting a common thematic focus
- Review Forum (4000–6000 words): Edited, multi-authored collection of detailed and critical engagements with one specific and newly published book
Coordinating editors: Karine Duplan and Jevgeniy Bluwstein; Editorial support: Silvan Christen
In case you are interested to review a specific book, please contact Silvan Christen.